Monday 18 February 2013

Exercise: Getting tone & depth in detail

This drawing took a really long time with all the separate areas of hatching and toning. I tried to layer the hatching a lot for a realistic look. I am pleased with the end result, but I found all the shading with the repetitive spikes became very tedious. 

The dark/light contrasts make it much more interesting and help to create the overall form as I used more highlights on the protruding right-hand side and darker shadings on the left. The size of the spikes was important as well in creating the perspective/form. However, I could have made this dark/light contrast more prominent to create form. The curving shape does help to create the overall form, as well as the underneath shadow position. 

One self-criticism for this drawing is that I've used too much line for the outlines to defy each spike. This probably makes the cone flatter and less realistic. 

This drawing was very controlled and I think this comes across and makes it less interesting, so it may be a good idea to try another drawing with looser lines and concentrating more on dark to light tones. 

The graphite pencil worked really well for dark areas, and the thicker pencils were good for softness and creating lighter shades. 
Cone using varied thicknesses of pencil and graphite pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment